I found many different recipes for falafel. In the description of each, it meant that he was the same, original, but the recipes were so strikingly different that it caused confusion. Taste, too, always came out different. And I did not always like the result. After many years of trial and error, this recipe for a delicious and beautiful falafel has been formed. He, by the way, is suitable for the post.
What is falafel
Falafel is an ancient dish. Cooking began in Egypt, and from there the recipe spread to the countries of the Near and Middle East. In Israel, even considered a national recipe. It is fried in boiling oil balls of legumes, spices, herbs and wheat cereal.
Vegetarians and vegans, as well as those who fast, but try to keep a balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates in the diet, contributed to the popularization. Falafel can be found in kebabs. The dish is served both independently, in the company of hummus and pita, as in the form of shavarma with vegetables and sauces.
You might have different falafel variants. With and without herbs. From boiled chickpea and raw. With additives in the form of bulgur, couscous, vegetables. Sold mixtures for falafel of chickpea flour with spices, which, by the way, are absolutely inedible.
First of all, you should know that falafel is not a quick dish. You must soak the chickpeas for the period from 6 to 12 hours, and then boil it until ready. Only in this way will the taste of raw peas and the unpleasant consequences of its consumption disappear.
Ready chickpeas or mince or grind in a blender. In the first case, the grain is preserved. After the blender, the texture will be smoother.
From spices will need coriander, zira, black pepper. Everything is thoroughly crushed. From vegetables take onions and garlic. As herbs use parsley, cilantro or a combination thereof. I like to use a generous bunch of cilantro in the dish, it makes the taste brighter.
Complement chickpeas boiled bulgur or couscous, as well as a generous portion of lemon juice. Alternatively, you can take a lime.
The resulting mass is adjusted with a small amount of flour to a rather thick, sticky consistency, then small balls the size of a walnut are formed. At the final stage, the balls are fried in deep fat until golden brown.
Serve with Greek yogurt!
- Portions: for four
Just delicious falafel
Just Delicious Falafel: Ingredients
- Chick-pea - 160 gr dry
- Lemon - 1 average
- Bulgur - 150 gr dry
- Wheat flour - 1-2 st.l.
- Sesame flour - 1 / 2 st.l.
- Cilantro - big bunch
- Onions - 1 average
- Garlic - 3 denticles
- Zira - 1 tsp
- Tmin - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - pinch
- Vegetable oil - 400 ml
Step by step guide
- Soak chickpeas in clean cold water for 6-12 hours, then boil for 40-60 minutes until ready
- Bulgur boil at the rate of 1 part of the cereal and 2 part of salted water for 15 minutes
- From the chickpeas drain all the water. Pure using a blender or mince
- Onion finely crumble. Garlic skip through the garlic press. Wash cilantro, separate leaves from stalks, discard stalks. In a blender, combine onion, garlic, juice of one lemon, cilantro, cumin, black pepper and zira. Do not make porridge, just combine all the ingredients well.
- Add to the chickpeas bulgur, a mixture of onions, garlic, spices and herbs, salt and mix thoroughly
- If there is no tahini sesame paste, take some sesame flour and mix in the dough.
- Put the vegetable oil to warm up in a small saucepan
- Now evaluate the consistency of the falafel dough. It should be rather thick, but not dry! If it is thin, add some wheat flour, but not more 2 tablespoons without a slide
- Check if the oil is ready. To do this, drop water. If you hiss - the right temperature
- Form dough balls the size of a walnut and deep-fry no more than 3-4 at a time until golden brown (about 1 minutes). Put the finished falafel on a napkin or paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve alone, or with hummus, or with Greek yogurt and greens. You can cook vegetarian schavermu