Order pizza or cook at home by yourself? I definitely vote for the latter. Moreover, the recipe is so simple that it will allow you to prepare excellent pizza at home without much financial or time costs. Today I share with you my favorite Margarita pizza recipe on thin dough.
Pizza Margarita Story
Pizza Margherita refers to the Neapolitan cuisine. The recipe was known back in the 18 century and included the classic unleavened pizza dough with tomato sauce, mozzarella slices and fresh green basil. Dried herbs of basil and oregano were allowed. In some cookbooks, the 18-19 of the century offered in addition to throw some grated Parmesan on top.
Contrary to some opinions, the classic Margarita got its name not from the Queen of the united Italy, Margarita of Savoy. It's all about drawing. Mozzarella slices laid out like a daisy. Slice in the center and petals around the edges.
Also, Margarita pizza can be found under the name "Neapolitana" or pizza "Marinara". The formulation and composition of the ingredients are similar.
How to cook pizza Margherita
Pizza Margherita is elementary in cooking. The dough is very simple. It consists of a minimum set of components: wheat flour, bread baking dry yeast, sugar, salt, water and extra virgin olive oil (first cold pressed). The dough takes minutes 40-60 from the moment the ingredients are prepared until sent to the oven.
In winter, for sauce, it is best to use canned tomatoes in metal cans or tetrapack. Today they are easy to find in any supermarket from Magnit and Dixie to the Crossroads and Pyaterochka. In the summer, use freshly ground tomatoes.
From spices there will be garlic (better dried, it gives more flavor), dried oregano and basil. I love to use a few slices of dried tomatoes. They give a very nice taste to the sauce.
Mozzarella choose the most fresh. Do not give preference to “mozzarella for pizza” in briquettes. It is not as tasty and melts longer.
The beauty of Margherita pizza is that it is the basis on which you can, if desired, throw salami, pepperoni, ham, pieces of sweet bell pepper, pickled cucumbers. Or you can make 4 cheese pizza.
- Pieces: 2
- Preparation: 60 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Portions: for two
Nutritional value (in 100)
- Caloric value: 212,16
- Carbohydrate content: 28,12
- Fat content: 9,25
- Protein content: 7,41
- Serving size: 300 gr
Why buy pizza if you can make it at home by yourself?
Margherita Pizza: Ingredients
- For the dough
- Wheat flour - 200 gr
- Yeast - 1 / 2 dry dry bag
- Sugar - 1 table spoons
- Salt - pinch
- Water - 140 ml warm
- Olive oil - 2 table spoons
- For filling
- Tomatoes cut - 1 / 2 banks
- Salt - pinch
- Dried tomatoes - 4-5 pcs on request
- Garlic - 1 tsp dried
- Basil - 1 tsp dried
- Dried Oregano - 1 / 2 tsp
- Mozzarella - 150 gr
- Basil - 1 sprig fresh (if found)
Step by step guide
- In the bowl measure the flour
- In another bowl mix warm water (140 ml), 1 st.l. sugar and 1 / 2 bag of dry yeast. Let stand for minutes 10
- Mix the flour and brew, salt and add 1 Art. extra virgin olive oil. If you, like me, are cooking in a metal bowl, it is better to prepare another container of glass or ceramic for the dough. Before spreading the dough, you need to grease the container with 1 Art. olive oil. Put the dough into the bowl.
- Cover tightly with a wrap, wrap in a towel and place in a warm place on 40 or more minutes, until the dough increases in volume 2 times
- While the dough is preparing, time for tomato sauce. For him, in a blender bowl, mix 1 / 2 jars of sliced tomatoes, add 1 tsp. dried garlic, basil, oregano, salt. Optionally, you can throw a few slices of dried tomatoes. Grind until smooth.
- Cut mozzarella in circles or (if you have a thick one), grate on a coarse grater
- The dough should be ready.
- Cover the work surface with parchment for baking, generously sprinkle with flour. Posting 1 / 2 dough, slightly knead, make sure it does not stick to hands
- Rolling with a rolling pin to roll a circle with a diameter of 30-32 cm, tuck the edges. Nothing if it is not very smooth 😉
- Spread dough with half of tomato sauce
- Put mozzarella circles on top
- Bake in preheated oven to 230C for 10-12 minutes until golden brown
- From this amount of dough, 2 thin 30 cm pizza is obtained.
- Serve with fresh basil leaves, if you happen to buy it