I suggest cooking carrot cream soup with orange and saffron. Delicate and at the same time spicy, with strong notes of chili - ideal in deceptive spring weather.
Saffron, useful properties
Even today, saffron is one of the most expensive spices. Get it from the dried stigmas of saffron flowers (he Crocus sativus). One flower gives the entire 3 stigma, and for a kilogram you have to process 200 thousands of flowers. The bulk of saffron comes to the market from Iran, where they grow up to 90% of the world total.
A bag of saffron today will cost about 100 rubles for a very modest portion, but enough for a few times. Even a very small amount fills the dishes with aroma and a peculiar bitter taste. Saffron is often used in Asian cuisine. Also, Spanish paella and Catalan fideuá cannot do without it.
Do not think that this spice can boast only taste. Saffron is extremely useful. There is evidence that it contains crocetic acid is very effective for the fight against cancer cells. It is also known that saffron is indicated for depression.
Carrot cream soup recipe
The recipe consists of 2x parts. The soup itself and crispy topping of caramelized pumpkin seeds with chili for serving. It will be a double enjoyment.
Vegetable soup on light vegetable broth. I cook the simplest and fastest onion, carrot, celery and tomato. As for the vegetables that we will use directly for the cream soup, you will need: carrots, onions and garlic. Instead of immediately throwing everything into the broth, we pre-bake them with a pinch of hot pepper.
Saffron and orange peel will serve as a flavor accent. They are perfectly combined with carrot sweetness, do not interrupt, but rather emphasize it. Saffron, being a natural orange dye, will also provide a more intense, appetizing soup color.
To smooth out a little bit of sharpness, take a heavy cream. I recommend at least 20%. Vegans can use coconut, the main thing is that it contains only coconut milk and coconut pulp without emulsifiers, otherwise the soup will lose its appeal.
Serve the soup with caramelized pumpkin seeds.
- Portions: for four
Carrot Cream Soup with Orange and Saffron
Delicate carrot cream soup with orange and saffron, unusual and incredibly attractive
Carrot Cream Soup with Orange and Saffron: Ingredients
- Carrots - 4 large
- Onions - 1 large
- Garlic - 6 denticles
- Vegetable oil - 2 table spoons
- Pumpkin seeds - 50 gr
- Cane sugar - 2 table spoons
- Chilli - pinch
- Saffron - pinch
- Orange peel - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Black pepper - pinch
- Vegetable broth - 1,4 liters
- Cream - 150 ml of fatty
Step by step guide
- Preheat oven to 190 C. Mix pumpkin seeds with chili and cane sugar. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment, sprinkle a little with water and bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until sugar turns into caramel
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Break the layer into small pieces
- Increase oven temperature to 220С. Peel and chop the onion. Peel carrots, cut into large circles
- Sprinkle with olive oil onions, garlic in the peel and carrot pieces. Season with salt (about a teaspoon of 3 / 4) and freshly ground black pepper. Add ground chili if desired. Mix well. Distribute on a parchment lined tray. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and caramelized. Let cool
- Put the saucepan with the vegetable broth over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then throw the carrots, garlic, and the onion out of the rind, along with the remaining butter. Add saffron and orange zest. Season 1 / 2 with a teaspoon of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, cook 5 minutes for more.
- Remove from heat and pour in rich cream. Flavor with immersion blender until smooth
- Sprinkle with caramelized pumpkin seeds to serve.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Pumpkin seeds at room temperature in an airtight container lie until a week