You have probably heard about paella, or even tried this beautiful multi-faceted dish of Spanish cuisine. Today I want to share the recipe fideui. This is a variant of paella, where rice is replaced by noodles. The dish is simple, quite fast and delicious!
Fideua dish history
Fideuah owes its appearance to hungry sailors. And the story came next.
It was in Gandia, in the province of Valencia in Spain. Gabriel Rodriguez Pastor worked as a cook on a ship with an assistant, a young man named Juan Batista Pascual. The captain of the vessel was a great lover of rice. He ate a lot, did not deny himself, but the sailors regularly did not receive their rations arròs a banda (rice dish, fish broth).
The cook felt sorry for the sailors, so he began to look for an alternative to rice. The idea was that the captain did not really like the food, and he would stop eating the team. So rice changed noodles. The dish was accepted with a bang, and soon the recipe spread to all the port eateries and restaurants.
Similar to paella, fideu is cooked in fish broth in a wide flat pan without a lid, although it is allowed to use a baking dish. Usually, squid, mussels and shrimps are taken as filling. Often add lean fish. There are also options with chicken, no less tasty than the original.
Frankly, not all Spanish mistresses spend time on cooking broth. Store shelves are filled up with ready-made tetrapacks of chicken and meat broths, as well as fish broths with seafood. The latter are just in the shopping baskets. But we will cook your broth. Instructions can be found in the recipe.
You will also need shrimp, squid and mussels. You can take white fish like cod, hake or sea bass. I know fresh is problematic, so feel free to take the deep-frozen seafood cocktail.
From the spices you need garlic, black pepper, fresh parsley and of course saffron. It is he who gives the dish a beautiful golden color. Be sure to take a dry white wine. I prefer the Spanish brand Torres. Their white wines are very aromatic and do not give the dishes a sour taste.
- Preparation: 60 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Portions: for four
Fideua with seafood
Seafood Fideua: Ingredients
- For fish broth
- Fish - 500 gr heads, fins, tails
- Onions - 1 average
- Carrots - 1 average
- Bay leaf - 2 average
- Black pepper - 4-5 Peas
- Pepper fragrant - 4-5 Peas
- Water - 1,2 l
- Salt - to taste
- For fideui
- Shrimps - 200 gr
- Squids - 200 gr
- Mussels - 200 gr (optional)
- White fish - 200 gr fillet
- Flesh of tomatoes - 150 gr
- Vermicelli - 300 gr
- Fish broth - 500 ml
- Olive oil - 3 table spoons
- Onions - 1 pcs small
- Garlic - 3 cloves + 1 tsp dried
- White dry wine - 100 ml
- Bell pepper - 1 pcs (optional)
- Saffron - pinch
Step by step guide
- Boil fish broth in a separate saucepan.
- Prepare the ingredients for fideui. Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Bulgarian pepper (if you want to use it, but I do not like) cut into slices, then divide into quarters. Wash the white fish, if there is skin - carefully clean the scales, cut into cubes. Squids, if fresh, then wash and cut into small pieces 1x1 cm; if frozen, defrost and then wash and cut. Shrimp, if fresh, just rinse with water; if frozen, pour boiling water over, then immediately drain the water. If you find mussels in the sink - fine. If you take the peeled frozen - defrost as shrimp. I couldn't buy fresh squids, so I replaced them with scallops
- On a strong fire to put a large deep frying pan or saucepan. Pour olive oil. Throw in the onion, garlic and fry until golden brown
- To the bow add 1 tsp. garlic and pour out DRY! noodles. Fry for about 30-40 seconds
- Toss the Bulgarian pepper (if you wish), the pulp of tomatoes, a pinch of saffron, pour in the wine and hot fish stock, mix, cover and cook over low heat until the vermicelli is cooked
- At this time, do fish and seafood. In a frying pan with olive oil and garlic powder, quickly fry the fish pieces and seafood. Those mussels that have not opened, throw away
- As soon as the noodles have absorbed almost all the moisture, you can throw fish and seafood. Extinguish 3-4 minutes, then turn it off.
- Serve with white wine